Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm Goin' Cow-Tippin'!

I've recently encountered a pretty interesting website, and while I've done a little bit of investigating, I can't claim to be fully educated on it yet. From what I can tell, this is a group that encourages intuitive learning as well as promotes ways to grow positively and adapt to change more readily. Sounds pretty good, right? This month, they've started a movement called "Sacred Cow Tipping". Basically, for each day in November, they state what they call a Sacred Cow. From the website:

"Sacred Cows are social agreements, decrees, doctrines, adages or points of law that have outlived their positive purpose, if there ever was one, and have become a burden to our evolution."

What they then do is try to empower readers to "tip" that sacred cow over and come to terms with any connections they've had with that cow, thus overcoming them. There's a visual process to it as well, which I believe helps you concentrate on what your inner-self is telling you. Being an uneducated believer in the power of thought and mindfulness, I really dig this whole process. Their first Sacred Cow (scroll down to November 1st) really caught my eye as something we can all strive to tip:

"Approval from the outside world is more important than inner direction."

I personally find this to be very appropriate as a budding activist. I think there are many times when we want to take that next step forward in our commitments to the causes we hold dear, but oftentimes that next step is a little scary. Whether it be soundly voicing your opinion on an issue you formerly stayed quiet about, signing a petition, canvassing, attending a march/rally/protest, or even just forcing yourself to think about an issue in a different light, the idea of the outside world disapproving of it can cause us to hesitate from moving forward. There's a reason that we feel moved to do the things we do, and I think if we listened a little more to that voice pushing us to move forward and less about what society or even our friends and family think, we may be able to make some real and positive changes. I mean, where would we be if all the great leaders and activists in the world never took chances due to fear of the outside world's reaction?

So, I challenge everyone (all 4 of my loyal readers) to try and listen to that inner direction more and see where it takes you. More often than not, the result will pleasantly surprise you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that's a great point, and an interesting perspective to apply the tipping of that particular cow, considering most people would probably apply that as a general cow in their self perspective.

as with most things, it's good to be mindful of the reason for doing something. tipping the cow for the sake of empowering yourself to go to the next step in your activist cause is good. continuing to tip that cow for the sake of not caring what society thinks of you may be losing sight of the original objective... as i have discovered probably more than a few times.

i love this blog <3 Robby

Anonymous said...

I am thinking and i am fine as far as being mindful and I am pretty good about not letting outside influence dissuade me from my heartfelt goals... but what if my sacred cow to tip is an actual cow? Worlds collide!

I heart this blog with Robby

#2 of 4 loyal reader