Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Abortion Through the Eyes of a...

...feminist, activist, vegetarian, Return Peace Corps Volunteer, Chicagoan, agnostic, adoptee...woman. When someone is asked to describe themselves on the most basic level, I'm sure that one of the first things that comes to mind is "male" or "female". (Of course, some don't have the luxury of being born of both the same sex and gender, but that is definitely for another post.) The point I'm trying to make is that this blog here is being written from the woman in me. I'm not writing this as a scientist or a theologian. I'm sure I could do hours upon hours of research about abortion coming from a scientist's or theologian's view and come up with support for both sides. But, I'm neither of those. Many aspects of my life affect my view on abortion, but first and foremost, I'm a woman. That's where I'm writing this from. So, when you read this, know that I don't know the scientific facts about fetuses and pain and I won't be able to quote any scripture that supports or condemns it. This is coming straight from the ovaries.

On December 4, the House of Representatives is expected to vote on what they call the "Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act." Basically, this act would force physicians to provide brochures to women seeking abortions at 20 weeks or more after fertilization. The content of these brochures has been scripted by anti-abortion legislators, not actual physicians, and says that the woman's "unborn child" will experience pain while "being killed in an abortion". The physician is then required to offer the woman anesthesia to be administered to the fetus. The physician is liable to up to a $100,000 fine for refusing to take all of these steps. A second offense will cost the physician $250,000.

Not only does this extremely biased act promote using scare tactics and intimidation against women who have all made a very difficult choice, but it also makes it even more difficult to get an abortion: By requiring anaesthesia to be offered, doctors are forced to cover the costs of the service as well as the insurance and training involved in it. Abortion clinics, even those associated with such well-known groups as Planned Parenthood, are barely staying afloat as it is. Thus, the cost of an abortion will go up, making it even less viable for so many women who are already in dire financial situations.

Let's not forget the fact that the term "unborn child" is used instead of "fetus". This isn't the first time that a fetus has been referred to as an "unborn child" in our legislation: In 2004, President Bush signed the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2004, which provides that "any person who causes death or injury to a child in the womb shall be charged with a separate offense, in addition to any charges relating to the mother." This act is better known as "Laci and Conner's Law", referring to the 2005 Scott Peterson case where Scott Peterson was convicted of murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn son, who was already named Conner. Connecting this act to a heinous crime made it much easier to swallow, as it garnered much praise while questions over how a fetus can have human rights and whether a repeal of Roe v. Wade was next fell to deaf ears.

Women's rights are being snipped away with tricky wording and the pulling of America's heartstrings right and left. Last month, the Supreme Court began hearing oral arguements in two different cases addressing the "partial birth abortion" ban that Bush signed in 2003. And although the South Dakota abortion ban was defeated this past November, Roe v. Wade is in danger of being overturned. The Dems have control of Congress again, but our Supreme Court still consists of a majority of conservatives.

If abortion were to become illegal, it wouldn't go away. It would just relocate to back alleys and dirty rooms. Women would die from the procedures, or face terrible disease and infections. A woman has a right to her body, period. If we were considered to be alive and human beings at the beginning of conception, then 3 months after we were delivered, we'd be 1 year old. There's a reason that the day we're delivered is called our birthday. And, to steal from George Carlin, if we are alive and human beings in the womb, then why don't we hold funerals for miscarriages?

Say what you want about whether you personally would be able to have an abortion or not. Even if you don't think you'd be able to, even if you don't agree with abortion as a form of birth-control, you can still be pro-choice and honor a woman's right to her body. Think about it.

-----------
Post-Script: On December 6, the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act failed to pass in the House. Thank goodness!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I agree. You worded things just great.

Unknown said...

Hello,
I was just reading your email you sent me and noticed a link to your blog at the bottom and decided to check it out. I was greeted by your well written piece on abortion. I felt compelled to leave the following comments. Let me preface this by saying that I don't want to challenge you to an argument...just give another perspective.

My feelings on abortion were very similar to yours back when I was in my late teens and early twenties. I'm not saying that people always change with age, but I did. (Please note that my feelings were changed even before I became pregnant and had Nathan). I used to agree that a women has a right to her body at all times. I used to agree that the "unborn child" was really just a fetus. I also used to think that it was okay to have an abortion for whatever reason. I now believe something very different and something that surely not all people agree with, because there are those of us that are scientists, feminists, atheists, etc. And there are some of use that are led by a higher power, which in my case is the Christian/Catholic God.

I now feel that although in all other situations, a woman does have a right to her own body. However, I feel that when a woman becomes pregnant, her body is no longer her own to make all the decisions for. Her body is now being shared with another human being...whether that is a fetus or an "unborn child". Whatever the reason that she became pregnant, and whatever the reason that she should not become a parent, she is now a mother. In the most basic sense of the word, she is a mother.

I do not think that a fetus or "unborn child" experiences pain while being aborted and I do agree that banning abortion will not make it go away. However, if it does revert back to alley's and dirty medical facilities, it is still the woman's choice to have that abortion. If those back alley's were that dangerous, she can make the choice to not have the abortion. And if she still makes that choice, then she is also making the choice to expose her body to some scary things.

I believe that God creates human life when he feels that it needs to be created. And if that pregnant woman is not ready for the life that God has created within her...for whatever reasons...that human life is still owed its chance on earth. It is still owed a chance at life. And there are MILLIONS of people in this world that are desperate for God to bless them with a child, but who are unable to get pregnant. So why shouldn't a woman who isn't ready, make the decision to give that child to someone who is ready? Why should that human being not have the chance to have life, just because the mother isn't ready and doesn't feel like sharing her body for 9 months? If that woman can develop the strengh within her to abort that baby, why can't she also develop that strength to give that baby up for adoption? With all the facilities and adoption agencies we have today, surely that pregnant woman can find somewhere to go...just like she can find the abortion clinic or back alley.

Again, these are my personal feelings, views, and beliefs that I realize are not shared by all. I don't want to offend anyone. I just feel that it's right to pay respect to all sides of this very diverse and complicated argument.
Lindsey

Shaynee said...

Thanks so much for the comment, Linds! I truly appreciate any and all counterpoints and different perspectives. That's what this is all about- sharing our opinions and beliefs in an open-minded manner :)